Ponni rice is named after the Kaveri River, also known as Ponni in Tamil Nadu. The Kaveri River delta, which includes the Tamil Nadu districts of Thanjavur, Nagapattinam, and Tiruvarur, is where the rice was initially cultivated.
The Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, which crossed two existing rice varieties in the 1980s to create a new hybrid variety, is credited with the invention of Ponni rice. Since then,it renowned for its distinct flavour, aroma, and texture, has gained popularity and been widely cultivated throughout South India.
The term “Ponni” in Tamil means “gold,” and the rice is named after the river due to its golden hue and rich taste. It is a popular rice variety recognised for its aroma, taste, and soft texture and frequently used to make meals like idli, dosa, and biryani in South Indian cuisine. It is a nutritious food choice since it is also high in nutrients including minerals, fibre, and carbs.
Types of Ponni Rice
- Ponni Boiled Rice has a soft texture, delicate flavour, and unique aroma. It is a kind of rice that has undergone a partial husk-boiling process. Most commonly, boiled rice is used to prepare rice, noodles, pastries, and sweets.
- Ponni raw rice is uncooked or unprocessed Ponni rice grain. Raw Ponni rice is a popular variety of rice that is known for its long, slender grains and its ability to cook quickly.
- Boiled broken rice is a dish created from rice grains that have broken during the milling process. Broken rice has a comparable nutritional content to whole grain rice, but because of its smaller size and broken pieces, it is frequently sold at a lesser price.
Benefits of Ponni rice
- High in fiber: It is rich in dietary fiber, which aids in digestion and can help prevent constipation, bloating, and other digestive problems.
- Low in fat: It is naturally low in fat, making it a healthy alternative to other high-fat foods.
- Gluten-free: Naturally gluten-free, making it a suitable dietary option for people with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.
- Rich in minerals: A good source of essential minerals, such as magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium which are important for maintaining healthy bones, muscles, and heart function.
- Helps regulate blood sugar levels: The complex carbohydrates present in the rice are slowly digested and absorbed, leading to a slower and steadier rise in blood sugar levels compared to other refined carbohydrates.
- Lowers risk of chronic diseases: Consuming whole-grain rice, such as brown rice, has been linked to a lower risk of chronic diseases, such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and certain cancers.
Word from AMK Krishna
Our Ponni rice varieties are rich in carbohydrates, fiber, and essential minerals. Incorporating our rice into a healthy and balanced diet can offer several health benefits and help maintain good health. We are one among the top 10 rice producers in Tamil Nadu. Go order the perfect rice, and you will not be disappointed!